Thursday, January 31, 2013

In The Pink

Thank you Sassy Jeni for such a great theme for this week's Sassy Cheryl's Challenge Blog - Thinkin Pink.  It brought to my mind two autobiographical books written by Mildred Spurrier Topp about growing up in my hometown in the early 1900s. They are full of life growing up in a small Delta town, with all it's quirks, being raised by a single mom, who when deserted by her husband, moves her daughters to a small Delta town in Mississippi and opens a photography studio. Lillian White Spurrier is one of those women that you have to truly admire, because this didn't happen today, or even 30 years ago, but over a hundred. Talk about taking lemons and making lemonade, Thanks Jeni for the memories, and because of them, I was actually able to find copies of the books(our local library has them under lock and key in the Archive Room), and am now the proud owner of both. I can remember laughing and crying when reading them, and am eagerly anticipating the joys of reading them once again.

So onto my card. The theme was pink, and it just so happened that Just So Scrappy 2 recently released a digital kit called BellaGrace(wouldn't that be the best name for a little girl?) that had tons of beautiful papers just filled with pink. The rose background reminded me of the cabbage rose wallpaper that was so popular in the early 1900s(back to the books). I found this sketch on this week's Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge.

"In the Pink" is an expression that means in perfect condition, especially of health. What better image to represent that than this Sassy Cheryl image called Dancing Day.  You can pick her up in the Bargain Bin HERE. Doesn't she look like she feels like a million dollars? She's colored with some base coating in places of Copics, but mostly with a combination of PrismaColor  and Faber Castell pencils.

The entire card was designed in my Silhouette  software and then printed and cut by my Cameo. Here's a picture of my design.
Once designed, I take individual elements to separate mats to duplicate for multiples cards, print on white card stock, and then cut. The best part is that I toss the left over white card stock scraps in the trash and I have no scraps.
Off to get this published and entered in the challenge.  I'm babysitting this morning for my 8 month old great nephew, and he's sure to wake up soon. 

Oh and did I tell you if you win, you get 2 free Sassy Cheryl images of your choice? I'm even early enough this week for y'all to have time to get a card in the challenge.

7 comments:

  1. Too cute Shirley. You and that Cameo are a match made in heaven! Enjoy reading your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Shirley! This is incredible!!! I LOVE how you showed the process too. That is always fun to see! Love, love, love it!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for playing along with the Sassy Cheryl DT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley, this couldn't be more sweet and beautiful at the same time!
    everything came together perfectly.. I love that you made several at a time.
    Thanks for getting Sassy with us this week and bringing your lovely pink creation!
    hugs to ya
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous card and wonderful image too.
    Hugs,
    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well well well, my dear Shirley!! Loot at you! Showing off with your fancy new machine!! hehehe! Can ya tell...I'm pea green?! But, alas, I will never get a Cameo because it's just too technical for me...I think a manual crank is about all I can manage! LOL!! But, let me just say...YOU ROCKED THIS CARD!! I love it...the papers are perfect...and your flower is yummy...and, of course, your SC image is beautifully colored...as always!! It's always such fun to see what you'll come up with each week for Sassy Cheryl Challenges!! Glad you joined us for this week's pinkalicious challenge!! Hugs. Pat Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. you just have the coolest toys! one of these days I'm going to make it to the cabin!!
    so cute!!!
    thanks for playing our Sassy Cheryl's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley, not only is your card spectacular, your post is absolutely wonderful! The book sounds great, too! I need to book mark this post so I can follow your step by step! Awesome, lady, just awesome!
    I'm so glad you joined us this week for the Sassy Cheryl's challenge!

    ReplyDelete