Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Having Fun with Cards, Vinyl and Kids

I've had a busy week, so decided I'd post what I had going on so far for the Sassy Cheryl's SMT challenge. If you're not familiar with it, it's your opportunity to be nosy and it be an approved activity. You get to check out what others have going on in their lives.

Saturday I spent the day finishing up blank greeting cards for my OWH box. These are the sets of cards I made then. With the exception of the doodle embossing on the first one, everything was print and cut using my Cameo.




Yesterday, my neighbor's DD came down so that I could help her with a project for her brothers and her father's birthday. This family is one of my favorites. Between Mom and Dad, there are also 7 children ranging in age from 16 to 6 months. If you ever needed a reason to smile, this family would give it to you. The children are wonderfully happy and social. They know how to entertain themselves. If they're not being schooled, you will find them outdoors involved in some imaginative activity. In fact they remind me of my childhood, where we entertained ourselves riding our bikes, putting on shows, playing kick the can, and chasing lightning bugs. Some of you remember those days when TV was a rarity and our handheld devices were books and slingshots.

The older boys have a lawn care business. There father works with them, not just supervising. I think of the great lessons he's teaching these boys - responsibility, reliability,  along with instilling a great work ethic.

The boys have been wanting some kind of professional looking shirts to wear when engaged in their business endeavors. The oldest sister decided that T-shirts for their birthdays would be the perfect gift(it doesn't hurt that the three of them have birthdays really close together). She has been playing around with the Silhouette Software for a while, and she had worked up a great design with curved text. The only thing I had to do was to find some clip art and trace it for her and add it to the shirt. I did the cutting, and she did almost all of the weeding(a blessing since her eyes are a lot younger than mine). Here she is weeding her heart out.

Weeding
For the front, one brother wanted an oval of barb wire. Believe it or not, I Googled it and found one. The amazing part of the Cameo, is that it cut this as small as it did. Thank goodness for young eyes, because there were some almost infinitesimal specks of vinyl to weed. She also let me operate the heat press, but I did give her the opportunity.





Don't you think she did a fabulous job? I know the boys are going to proud to wear these shirts.

Yesterday was my kind of day, getting to help a young person. We had a great time, and hope we get to do a repeat of crafting again soon.



3 comments:

  1. Wonderful cards you made and the t-shirt looks great! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shirts turned out really good. That is a catchy name for a lawn care business too. Fabulous job for you and your friend. The cards you created are awesome also. I can't believe I still don't own a Cameo. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley,

    Could you please check out the questions on your youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjoHIekWX4. There are a few of us that are having the same issue, and can't import the fonts like you show.

    ReplyDelete