Monday, November 1, 2010

Be There But Not Square!

This week on the Sassy Cheryl's Challenge Blog, the dare was to create a card that wasn't square. OK, I had an idea for a card that I had seen somewhere and was going to use the template for it. Before I could take action, another challenge used that shape, and I didn't want two cards with the same shape. I put on my thinking cap(do any of you remember Tom Terrific from Captain Kangaroo?), and I had an idea for making a mug card. This is pretty simple to create if you have a Cricut and MTC. I knew there was a Sassy Cheryl image of a snowman with a hot beverage. Fortunately for Cheryl, I didn't have it so I had to go shopping at the store, and needless to say, while I was there made a few more purchases. I mean how can you leave with only one image?

When I found this image called "Cappuccino Snowman", it was a sign. Up until about the summer of 2004, I had been a one cup of coffee in the morning for the caffeine kind of person. That summer I went to California to visit a friend, and she got me hooked on lattes. She had an espresso machine, and we started every morning with a Sugar Free Caramel Latte(VENTI). When I returned home to the town of no Starbucks and craving a latte, I invested in my own espresso machine. Now I can have a latte anytime I want one and have the Points(Weight Watcher speak) for one. Since it's made with a cup of milk, it's a great way to get in my calcium(that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). My snowman is colored with Copics.

It was a simple job to create just a mug with my Make the Cut Software and my Cricut, but when it became a latte, it needed foam, so I added some joined circles to the back of the card shape to give it the foam look. I cut the cup shape out of white cardstock and then out of this Snowman paper from The Paper Studio and glued them together. The sentiment was created in Photoshop, and then I used the joined circle shape to cut the sentiment. Lastly I took some chalk and added some cream tones to the froth and to the sides of the card. My last touch was to add some of the punched heart remains from my Martha Stewart Looped Heart corner punch to the froth sentiment and a heart charm to the bow.

If I tell you I love you a latte, that means I REALLY love you. Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Shirley, I Love you a Lautte! SO, So, cute and I love the play on words! Amazing girl!!!!!! I'm so glad that you got this card in before the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirlly, what a totaly fun and adorable card.. Love the huge mug... sometimes, thats the size we need to get us going in the mornings~ hee...
    love your creativity with the foam on the top.. whats a latte without the foam... Great card!
    Hugs
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent and crafty idea Shirley! I am hooked on the Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks. I think I may need an intervention. Their mugs don't have anything on yours though!!! Too cute ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I myself, latte the Starbucks Venti Caramel Macchiato, but this time a year I can't get enough of the pumpkin spice ....heavenly I promise! Great card. This cup is really cute. A few years ago, I made a scrapbook page with coffeee mugs all over it. Then I put each of my granchildren's picture on a mug. Called the layout -"Mug Shots".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, what a great idea and gorgeous card! Love your blog post, too. Thank you for joining us this week for the Sassy Cheryls challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my all-time favs from Sassy Cheryl's.. great card, very creative. Thanks for playing along with us this week. Peggy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley, what a wonderful creation. Love you a latte too!!! Thanks for playing along with us and for being such a big part of the "group".

    ReplyDelete