Friday, September 14, 2012

New and Improved SMT Post

Well it's early in the week yet for me and my SMT posts for the Sassy Cheryl Blog, but what can I say, I'm on a roll with early. LOL I'm trying a new tactic, to see if I can win another free image.

This week I have something to show you that my DH has done. As some of my friends know I have a group of friends(we call ourselves the 10K Posse as we all wear pedometers and strive for 10000 steps a day) that I made online in 2003. In 2004, two came for a few days visit in the spring, and in 2005 the number went to 5. Thus started what we call Camp Taz(CT). We started with a long weekend in the spring, that grew to a week in the spring and in 2009 we added a Fall camp. We get together at DH and my camp house on the bluff overlooking Tibbee Creek, where we enjoy walks, visiting, eating healthy, lots of laughing, and kayaking.

One of the girls got me hooked on kayaking when I went out to visit her in California. I came home and told my DH we HAD to have some. We bought two, but that wasn't enough for us campers, because we had to share, and that's not nearly as much fun as going out in a large group.

We added four more kayaks to the mix, and needed someway of storing them, so DH built this rack. At first it was at the top of the hill(in case of flooding) above the boat ramp, which meant we had to have a truck to get them down the hill and back up. That was a pain(we were in our 50's then and now we're in our 60's) so he moved the rack down to the boat dock area so that we could easily walk them to the water. They needed to go in bow first, and you had to hold the seat back up in order to keep it from catching. You also had to push down on the stern while sliding it forward. The person doing that usually ends up wet and muddy.

DH finally realized it wasn't the best plan in the world and earlier this summer, he drew up a plan where he could basically use the materials in the existing rack and rebuild it to make it easier for us women(none of us are getting any younger, and I think it's pretty impressive that at 60+ we're still doing this) to load and unload them.

Well DH hadn't gotten around to rebuilding it, and with the 13th CT scheduled for October, I "gently" (I'm sure you all understand nag was more like it) reminded him. I also told him, I was going to start harassing him about it.

He started on it on Tuesday and had it finished by Wednesday. So this is the new and improved rack. Now to load and unload you just put one person at either end, catch the handles, lift, flip and slide.
Kayakers for the April 2007 Camp Taz

So my 10K Posse, what do you think?

26 comments:

  1. WoooHooo! Looks like a snap, can't wait to try it out! Thank You Charles and Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's nice to have a handy man around the house isn't it? This is a super storage design. Wish I were a "few" miles closer to give it a try. Your kayaking adventures look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be nice to your hubby and quit nagging. He is a real keeper for sure! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just have the most WONDERFUL husband. . .even if you did have to nag him just a little. LMBO! This is fabulous and I agree. . ..so much easier all the way around. He's so resourceful . . .and I ADORE the amazing photo of you gals! I picked you out in a second. . . .I'd recognize that adorable smile anywhere!
    Thanks for playing along in the Sassy Cheryl's SMThursday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great fun. It is wonderful you have the place, the toys, the friends and the VERY talented husband. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Shirley this is great and looks like you are all having the time of your life what a great hubby you have i cant wait to skype with you girls while your all at camp wish i could go but maybe next year hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you tell me what the dimensions are on the kayak rack. I need to make one for our small community and yours looks like just what we need. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert, I'll have to go measure the parts. I have some more pictures that I took for a friend. If you'll contact me through my e-mail at smswoopeatbellsouthdotnet, I'll send you some pictures along with measurements.

      Delete
    2. Shirley, would it be possible to share the dimensions again? I admire the pictures and wish to build one on Cape Cod using this prototype.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I have just seen your kayak stand through Pinterest. Would you be willing to share the dimensions and style with us? We just got kayaks for Christmas. I tired using the email you said above and it didn't work.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e-mail me at smswoopeatbellsouthdotnet for PDF document of instructions.

      Delete
  9. Hi, This is the nicest DIY rack I have seen and exactly what I wish to build. I too am in my 50s, a woman and I want to build this! Can you please send me the dimensions and some instructions as to how you put the grooves to attach the boards? Thanks so much. Danielle lvn_n_snshn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e-mail me at smswoopeatbellsouthdotnet for PDF document of instructions.

      Delete
  10. Hi- Love this kayak rack and want to build it. Could you please email me directions? If yes let me know and we'll figure out a way so that I'm (ideally) not putting my addy on a public board. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. email me at smswoopeatbellsouthdotnet and I'll e-mail you back the instructions.

      Delete
  11. Hello! I love your design as well. I tried the email address above to request some PDF instructions - but it does not work. Is this the correct address? smswoopeatbellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI!
    I love your DIY kayak rack on pinterist. Would you be willing to share the dimensions and instructions of building it?
    Thank you,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I was wondering if you would be willing to share directions and dimensions for your kayak stand. The email address above doesn’t work. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trying to email you for specs on your fabulous kayak rack. Can’t figure out your email!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice kayak design. Can you send me the design specifications?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks well thought out. Can I get the specifications? Thank you in advance for your help.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're still interested, reply to e-mail.

      Delete
    2. WOULD LOVE PLANS FOR KAYAK. THANKS

      Delete
  17. Can you email me plans I can use to build one similar. Thank you
    skagitnation@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you please email me the plans, i love this set up. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know people are inquiring about the dimensions and if possible i would be be appreciative if you could send them to me also. Thanks, Snodgrass00@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete